Sunday, May 1, 2011

Blogworthy

At what point does a thought become worth writing about?

Elaine Benes of Seinfeld fame was known for being stingy with her limited supply of contraceptive devices.  It turns out that I am not so discriminating with airing my random musings.  As I confessed in the introduction to this blog, I am mostly ignorant on just about everything.  Yet there are a lot of things that fascinate me, primarily due to my complete lack of knowledge on any given thing.   I find that when a topic piques my interest, I start pumping my peers for any and all information that they have on the subject.  I start by asking a few inocuous questions of my well-informed acquaintances and like a "sponge," I've soaked up important details that had previously eluded me.  It's a rather efficient way of learning.

Now this is hardly a secret way of obtaining information as all of us inquisitive-types resort to such fact-gathering techniques.  The key to taking it to the next level is to provide a spark with the potential of igniting a debate.  For in the fires of debate is where information is forged into knowledge.  Debate challenges notions, it puts faith to the test, it fosters meditation and alters perspectives.  Debate hones good thoughts into great ones and bolsters faith as the truth shines through the rhetoric.

So what am I going to talk about in this blog?  It is my hope that I can lay bare my life and share those things that I wrestle with -- thoughts that keep me awake in the early hours and questions that may be unanswerable -- in hopes that ideas, discussions, even prayers will flow from those I hold in high esteem.  At times I will be reverent and respectful, while at others, crass and controversial.  For that is what I am -- a mixed bag.

I invite you to join me on this quest, helping me navigate through the cobwebs that clutter my mind.  I challenge you to challenge me.  I want my views to be sharpened, refined.  I want to make sure that they stand up to the wisdom that you, the reader, can bring to this blog.  For your experiences are unlike anyone else's, making you uniquely qualified to expound upon the things that life has presented you.  Your interests and thinking offer a view from a different hilltop than those that I have climbed.  I long to see what you have seen.  Styx said it well, but Solomon said it even better: 
Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser; teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.  The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.  (Proverbs 9:9-10)
Next: Think on These Things

4 comments:

  1. Like a sponge. Nice.

    I look forward to your thoughtful additions to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete, thank you for noticing the more subtle Seinfeld reference. Now if I could just keep my blog entries more brief. Shrinkage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracias por tu apoyo Brett. Lo mismo para ti y tu blog. Que tengas un lindo dia lleno de bendiciones!

    ReplyDelete